Monday, July 13, 2015

THE ELITE: The Selection Series Book Two


"LOVE is a BEAUTIFUL FEAR"

- THE ELITE




The Elite is the second Book in The Selection Series, preceded by The Selection.  It was published last April 23, 2013. With the second book, the thirty-five girls was slowly diminishing until only six remains to compete in the Selection. Out of these six girls only one will marry Prince Maxon and will be crowned princess of Illea. America still isn't sure where her heart belongs to. When she's with Maxon, she's swept up in their new and breathless romance. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, she is overcome with memories of life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over - and time is running out for America to decide.
Just when America is sure she has made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she's struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.


The Book 2 of the Selection Series helds different emotions. I got so frustrated with America for he can't easily choose between the two men. I'm Maxon's avid fan, so sometimes I can't help but be bias if scene about Aspen came up. I can feel the love flowing and hearts popping out of the book when America and Maxon are together so why be straight forward to admit her feeling and to let poor Aspen let go, right? I also want to point out how the characters change in Book 2. They got mature to think the things that surrounds them. Even America got so fearless to act out her emotions which the readers (for sure; like me) got so affected by it. Though emotions are overflowing in this book it still held the serenity it started from Book 1.

Compared with The Selection Book 1, The Elite is not so appealing to me. I kind of feel deja vu with every page because the scenes are quite repetitive. Attacks from the rebel, hiding in the basement, America turn between Maxon and Aspen, other girls seducing Maxon, Aspen trying to win America back and the cycle repeats again. When I read it, I just want to finish every page not because I'm so eager to know what's next but because I already expected what will happen. The element of suprise is kind of gone and what is left for me is to skim which part of the book is exciting. Nevertheless, I still find part which I like that motivates me to read futher. It's quite an informative book that will lead you to understand certain things in Book 3.

These are my faovrite lines from THE ELITE:


"You've changed me forever. And I will never forget you." - Maxon Schreave



"Sometimes I feel like a knot; too tangled to be taken apart." - America Singer



"I want it to be as easy as breathing for you to say YES." -  Maxon Schreave



I may not super like Book 2 but still I'm going to give it a passing rate for being such a nice source of emotional wreck on me. It holds that impression of continuity with Book 1 though I really see the effort of holding back events to be part of Book 3 which was a good job. So what are you waiting for, finish up Book 1 The Selection so can get started with The Elite. Don't forget to prepare a tissue with you because it will make the waterfall effect broke.


Synopsis credits to: The Selection Wiki / theselection.wikia.com



No comments:

Post a Comment