Friday, January 22, 2016

SAYING GOODBYE: easy said than done


"It's not the GOODBYE that hurts, but the FLASHBACKS that follows."



I always ask myself why do we have to say GOODBYE to people we love and we care? Why not they just stay by our side forever and have a happily ever after? Wouldn't the world be happy a place to live in if this happens?




But then I woke up from my fairy tale like thoughts and then realize that in reality letting go is part of life. Though its a bit hard to let go the people you care most it's a first step to maturity and having to deal with it means being a true lady. 

Now, as a pre-school teacher I realized that goodbyes don't always meant not seeing the person you love for good. My pupils taught me that sometimes it's just temporary and better things happened as they part ways with their parents. At a very young age of 2-4 years old, they taught me that to survive in the midst of life you have to be brave enough to walk down the aisle of the school's hallway ALONE; no mommy's hand to hold on to, no daddy's strong arms that would carry you through. But as I observed they all pass the stage of letting go. So, why we adults find it hard to do so? Why can't we just temporarily let go of those people we hold on too much and be a brave soldier surviving the war on our own?

I believe it's because as we grow old our sense of trust lessen. Compare to kids they always trust their parents to be there outside the school gate waiting for them with warm smiles and big hugs. But for us, goodbyes always meant GOODBYES (period). We tend lose our trust once people leave us. We tend to detach ourselves from the possibility that one day I can see them. Maybe not today or tomorrow but still there is a teeny weeny percentage that I'll see them in the future. Another thing is the memories of the past that we treasure a lot. Us adults have this treasure box found in the deepest corner of our minds that links to our heart that makes us reminisce the good memories we had in the past. As we miss a certain person these memories came rushing through that's why saying goodbye is the hardest task to do. Unlike kids, they keep this memories sealed as they make new memories in school. These things are just fragments of what we felt about goodbyes but these are also the one that makes a big impact.

Oh!! How I wish I was still a little kid. Where these goodbyes is just as easy as hellos. But, wouldn't be great to be called an adult for you conquer the seas of burden and worries of saying goodbyes and letting go?








No comments:

Post a Comment